Ducks In A Tub

Taking life's adventures one day at a time.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Warning: For women only…and even then you may not want to read…

Being a woman is hard work. I’m not talking about raising kids. I’m not talking about being pregnant. I’m not even talking about childbirth. Today I am talking about something we all have in common. We all experience the “monthly” discomfort in some form or another. The degrees of annoyance and pain vary for each of us.

I wish I could find it in me to write about something else, but my pain today is so great that it is the only thing on my mind.

Before I had kids I used to suffer miserably during the first two days of my monthly feminine event. My cramps would get so bad that I would have to leave work or school, go home, curl up in a ball with a heating pad, pop some pills in my mouth, and wait (hope?) for relief. (Ice cream helped, too…) Some months would be better than others, but I was invariably forced to endure the wretchedness month after dreary month.

Many people told me that I could expect the bearing and delivery of children to heal or reduce my ailment. I prayed for this miracle to occur. Somewhat surprisingly, I had very little physical discomfort during my pregnancies (comparatively). After 18 months of pregnancy (my son was only 2 months old when I conceived again) I was looking forward to settling back into a normal cycle, but without the horrible experiences of my B.C. (Before Children) days.

I wish I could tell you that that the tales were true. Sadly, though, pregnancy and childbirth has not healed my hurt. I now experience the same cramping and pains that haunted me back then. For those of you who have children, imagine being in labor (sorry, that’s the only way I can compare it), about a half hour before you were ready for the doctor to give you the epidural is how I feel…once every month…all day long…

I try medicines, and they do help the pain…but I can’t sleep at night because they contain caffeine…which keeps me awake. So, I’m pain-reduced (not really pain free), but now I’m tired from lack of sleep.

Hmmm…maybe it’s time to have another baby so that I can enjoy the blissful relief that pregnancy gives… just kidding! ;-)

Labels: , ,

|

1 Comments:

  • At 4:31 AM, Blogger BeachMama said…

    I can totally sympathise with the cramps, pain, almost like giving birth. For so many years, I suffered. Then, I had my son and I have never known such relief. It took me a few months to realize that it wasn't coming back. I have been so thankful. I feel your pain though, who knows maybe one more pregnancy will do the trick for you?!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home