Ducks In A Tub

Taking life's adventures one day at a time.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

You're Never Going to Believe This One!

Triumph over the money-making corporation! Bwa-ha-ha!

Well, it’s not quite as vicious a victory as it sounds. I was shopping yesterday and the grocery store meat department had mis-priced some boneless, skinless chicken breasts. The label READ correctly, but here is the kicker: it was priced at 20 cents per pound. I thought “This HAS to be a mistake” and I kept walking. I didn’t bother to tell anyone in the department that they were about to give away chicken.

When I told my husband about the error at dinner, he was shocked that I didn’t buy it at such an unbelievable price. He just had to see this fluke for himself, so we piled in the car and went back to the store. While I stayed in the car with the kids, he ran in to see if the miracle had been taken yet. Five minutes later, he came out of the store raising a bag triumphantly over his head. He had bought 4 pounds of chicken for 80 cents! Apparently, no one had bought the mis-priced package over the last 8 hours, and no employee had caught the mistake. As an extra prize, hubby also bought some ice cream for us to celebrate his victory.

Was it wrong to take advantage of incorrectly labeled merchandise? Hubby obviously doesn’t think so. I’m not so sure, but, then again, there are several good meals of chicken in my freezer and we spent less than a buck. I can’t argue too much with the fiscal side of this ethical dilemma.

What do you think?

Labels: , , ,

|

2 Comments:

  • At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Actually, I think the law is on your side on this one. I believe that if something is marked by the store for a certain price, they have to honor it. Jonas insists there must be some sort of reasonable limit on this, but I actually know people who have benefitted from this. Rest assured! Leah

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Blogger Mayberry said…

    I just saw something recently where a woman basically makes a career out of something similar to this. Many stores have a policy where if something is mismarked or doesn't match the label on the shelf, they have to give it to you for free. So she scours the stores for this stuff (like the sign says it is $1.59 and the price tag says $1.69) and gets it all for free. She argues that she is saving them money by pointing out their mistakes! So enjoy your chicken :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home