Ducks In A Tub

Taking life's adventures one day at a time.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Don't Worry Honey, I've Got You Covered

I keep making the same darned mistake…over…and over…and over. It’s World Series time right now. The two teams are the Detroit Tigers and St. Louis Cardinals. For some reason (and I really don’t know why), I keep calling the Tigers the Pirates. I just have that name in my head and I can’t seem to get it out. It drives Hubby crazy.

Great story for you, though. Last post I talked about what a huge baseball fan my husband is and how mediocre I am at reciprocating his passion. Despite my lack of intense fervor I know my husband very well and I can predict how well “his” team is doing during a game (give or take 1 run) simply by hearing the way he responds when he turns on the t.v.

Here is a list of what he says and what it means:

“All riiight!” This is a fairly mellow, but positive response. It means that his team has a one run lead. They have the advantage for the moment, but they are far from safe.

“YES!!!” or “Woo-hoo!” A more excited reaction, these terms mean that the favored team is leading by 2 or 3 runs. They are doing well enough to be happy, and blowing it with that kind of advantage would be disastrous to the fan.

“WHOOOOOA!” My husband reserves this phrase for only the most deserving occasions. A long home run. A diving catch. An amazing strike out. A lead of 4 or more runs.

“DANG IT!” This one, I think, speaks for itself. He uses this phrase any time the opposing team is dominating on the scoreboard. Enough said.

So when the Cardinals and the Pirates, errr, sorry, Tigers play tonight I'll have to keep my ears open for the tone of victory or defeat. (He's rooting for the Tigers, by the way.)

Labels: , ,

|

2 Comments:

  • At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wish she wasn't wrong, but she's right.

    The Husband

     
  • At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't tell hubby, but I'm rooting for the Cardinals. Go Cardinals!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home